Never forget them

In the morning of the 24th of September 1944 at appr.10.00AM Pvt.Roy Dale Kirkpatrick was send out with a reconnaissance platoon. Their task was to map new enemy positions as they where retreating the day before. When patrolling in the Sand Dunes near Eerde Pvt. Roy Dale Kirkpartick came under German machinegun fire. He died instantly due two shots true his heart.

His last letter to his wife was on September 1st, writing he had trench mouth and ulcers. This did not keep him from jumping on September 17th, where he jumped with Kinnards 1st Battalion near the castle at Heeswijk Dinther. Because their pathfinders were shot down on their way over, Kinnard’s battalion was dropped on the wrong dropzone. In spite of this, they landed close together and assembled quickly. There were about a dozen jump injuries, and it was decided a small group would stay behind with these men and to collect all the bundles with supplies. The rest of the battalion would start with their mission of capturing two bridges across the canal near Veghel. Burd stayed behind at the castle, and in a skirmish with an overwhelming German force he was shot. A year later his helmet, with a bullithole in the back, was found, and ended up in the museum at Fort Campbell.

Cpl. Carman S. Ladner is listed as Missing in Action (MIA) on the 24th of September 1944. In and around the village Eerde there where fierce fighting’s going on to keep Hell’s Higway open for advancing allied troops. At one moment Cpl. Carman S. Ladner was standing on top of a huge ammunition truck, busy with passing ammunition down. The truck was fully exposed when the vehicle was hit by a shell from a German tank on the opposite site of the railroad track, causing the ammunition to explode. Carman’s dead was instant, no remains where found. His former fiancé, Elaine Smith, was heavily involved in the remembrance of Ladner. Elaine sadly died on August 12 2011! We will miss her wisdom, her stories, and her warm smile, but she will live in our hearts forever.