Commemoration, education and appreciation are notions that the Klondikes shape through living history and re-enactment. For recognition in this area the Klondikes feature a logo with the following meanings;
The name Klondikes derived from the radio callsign “Klondike” which was used in the Second World War to designate the headquarters of the 501st Parachute Infantry Regiment. This callsign derived from the Klondike River in Alaska where an adjacent gold extraction site caused a huge “gold rush” in 1897.
The contour of the logo is based on the Screaming Eagle patch of the “101st Airborne Division” in order to accentuate the unit in which the Klondikes operate. A specific indication for this is the diamond in the middle which is an indication of the 501st Parachute Infantry Regiment (PIR). The 501st, as well as the 502nd and 506th were part of the 101st Airborne Division. The so called “tic” at the top refers to “Head Quarters” which is the company for general support and management services. The fact that we re-enact paratroopers, is accentuated by a parachute inside the diamond with the canopy shaped in the numbers 501.
Example of a 501st helmet decal. In this case the “tic” on the right indicates that the owner of the helmet is part of the 1st battalion.